WELCOME FRIENDS!!

WELCOME  FRIENDS!!
HUMMINGBIRD MIGRATION 2014

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

THE KING IS BACK! ELVIS RETURNS FOR A HUMMINGBIRD SPRING SURPRISE!



Hi Everybody!!
SURPRISE: Guess who returned this spring with a mate and had babies in a nest at Kates Cabin? It is Elvis, King of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.  Last time I saw Elvis was in October when he left for Mexico!  The really strange thing is the hummers do not usually come back here in the spring-only the fall migration. (See complete photo documentation in archives or photo album). Anyway, there are about 10 hummers here now to my delight. I find photographing the birds at sunset reveals the brilliant light on their feathers, especially when he flashes his ruby red gorget! You may wonder how I know it is Elvis? He is the only bird that comes where I am watering the flowers, to buzz me and fly into the water spray! He likes it if I squirt him-HaHa! And, he claimed the same tiny branch as you will see in today's photos.  Enjoy!


Notice his neck feathers (the gorget) appear black. He is in complete control of when he moves his feathers just so to flash the red color



link to G+ Photo Album:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117645114459863049265/albums/6142948655821406065


This is his tiny branch above the feeder


Bees showed up with the hummers



He is the size of your thumb! (tiny bird)





He is fluffing his feathers which makes him look fat!



He is not afraid of me or my camera or he would not keep on sitting here.



He sucks up nectar with the straw-like beak.



Yes, he is watching me. They watch me all day just to see what I am doing!




For great info, check out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby-throated_hummingbird






















Here is a Flash!









And another flash!



Elvis is staying here in the Memory Garden.



The sun going down as I am walking to the cabin.







Heat Map of sunbeams(Picasa)




...this is brendasue signing off from Rainbow Creek.  See you next time!

O+O

No comments:

Post a Comment